Monday, May 14, 2012

"Let's be no stoics nor no stocks, I pray."

This morning, after I got back from Daily Mass--which always spurs me to be productive as well as spiritual--I jotted a list down in my diary of Things that Wanted Doing. After looking it over, I realized that I didn't have as much time for pleasure-reading as I thought.

Which is actually a bit of a relief, since I've been rationing my Bertie Wooster books against a period of starvation. Yes, I know, technically they're Jeeves books, but I read them for Bertie Wooster. One of the things that makes him appealing as a character--besides his eccentric narrative style, which is really the main thing--is his utter helplessness. People, especially misguided girls, want to help him even in-story, although they do him more harm than good--forcing him to read Nietzsche to improve his mind, for example. Even Jeeves is implied to be doing what he does because he just feels sorry for the poor, hapless lad.

I wonder if that's the way Tranio feels about Lucentio. Lucentio has the opposite problem--he's too scholarly and stable, he'd probably read Nietzsche for pleasure, and, bottom line, there's not enough excitement in his life. Poor fellow, maybe setting him up with Bianca will help.

At any rate, I'll see. Signing out for Shrew rehearsal now. Allie is changed into Tranio. (And Tranio is changed into Lucentio.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment