Sunday, July 29, 2012

a blog should not be a place to complain

So I get jealous of other people's characters. Constantly. At the moment I'm sad that I don't own P.G. Wodehouse's Psmith and Mike. A couple months ago it was Jeeves and Wooster. Before that I think it might have been the characters in Krazy Kat or Little Shop of Horrors or something. What is it with this?

Also I envy other people's writing styles. I know perfectly well I'll never write anything as plucky and jaunty and sunny as Wodehouse at his best. Or anything near as hypnotic as Bradbury's stuff, or as idiosyncratic as George Herriman.

I mean my writing's pretty good (I'm only eighteen) and I've got some pretty good folks on my hands. I've got Hate Disguise down to a science, and Donovan Din is starting to listen a little when I whistle for him. Renee is stiff, but serviceable. Why can't I be jealous enough of myself to start writing stuff for myself?

4 comments:

  1. You have to look at it this way: you would never expect G.K. Chesterton to be good in the same way that Wodehouse is good. Nor would you expect Wodehouse to be brilliant in the way Bradbury is - try though he might. So don't expect yourself to be good in the same way another author is good. That kind of thinking usually becomes a great big plug that stops up all sorts of creativity. If you look at my idols (Donato Giancola, Glen Keane, Norman Rockwell, and Daniel Gerhartz) you will see such a huge diversity of style. Of course I value each of them for different aspects of their art, and it would be foolish of me to expect them all to paint and draw like one another, especially since it is their uniqueness that makes me value them. Logically, I must then not expect MYSELF to be good in the same way that they are good, but rather to simply be GOOD. Inspiration is all fine and dandy, but contrary to popular opinion most inspiration doesn't come from looking at other people's work, but rather the acts of working and looking at the world. Please forgive the run-on sentences that inevitably invade my discussions when I get excited.
    *steps off of soapbox*
    Speaking of writing, Hebah and I have to have a group chat with you. Her enthusiasm for plotting is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Moira! Now I'm all embarrassed. :) :) :) You're the greatest, if I never said that before.

      I know all this is 100% true, it's just that as a writer you sometimes sort of sit down, sigh and say, "Everything's been done." Which isn't true, of course. Otherwise how would great new books keep coming out every year?

      And as far as any group chats might go, I am in. :)

      Delete
  2. You have, but I appreciate it every time. When it comes to compliments, I'm like a goldfish.
    Every time Hebah starts whining, "It's been done!", all I have to say is, "Twilight." Seriously, if that can get published, there is hope for every tired and worn idea out there. The comfort is that no story can be told the same way by two separate people. Just like no two people can draw the same object with the same results.
    Hmm, does Gchat do groupchat? I know skype does, but I don't have skype (would have to re-download it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go. http://support.google.com/chat/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=161886 I still don't have Hebah's email, sadly.

      And if you really can't remember compliments I suppose I'll just have to keep handing them your way. :)

      Delete