Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Definitive Psmith

Sounds like a name for a book collection, doesn't it? But no, there is really no "definitive" set of P.G. Wodehouse's Psmith series out there. If you're fond of Psmith, you have to pseek him out for yourself. (The "p" is psilent.)

Technically I am now finished with the series, as it stands. Still left to read: the magazine version of Leave it to Psmith (somewhat different, I'm told), the stage version of Leave it to Psmith (which would have to be different, unless you had some kind of crazy elaborate set), the US version of The Prince and Betty (which apparently combines Psmith, Journalist with a previous Wodehouse book in an unholy blend), and a few stories featuring Psmith's sidekick Mike Jackson in his schoolboy days. When I'm obsessed I do the thing thoroughly.

But I'm still squealing over Leave it to Psmith, which I just finished; the series, if it had to end, couldn't have ended much better. Surprisingly satisfying stuff. I'm not going to write a review of it until I can be more objective. So on that note I leave you with this fantastic set of posts on the series, which makes observations that never would have occurred to me and increases my enjoyment considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment